Friday, August 27, 2010

The Carping Calvinist

Yesterday, the Wifi at my brother's apartment was out, so I sought refuge in the local Panera.   While I ate lunch there, I didn't stay long.  It was too noisy to think. 

As I was parking the car, I noticed a Humvee or Hummer parked in the lot.  Now, this is a motor vehicle that is so wasteful it isn't made anymore.  It is a horrible, horrible vehicle.  It was designed for use for the military and while it may have been useful in war, it should never have been introduced into civilian life.

So when I saw it, I was already pissed off. 

Then, I noticed the license plate had the Hebrew word for God, "Elohim" except it was misspelled.  Also, the license plate frame advertised a ministry.

Since I have nothing but time now, I left a note on the windshield.

"Do you think Jesus would drive a Hummer?  "Elohim" should be spoken with reverence not slapped on your license plate.  Do you really think you are doing a good job of representing all of us Christians driving around like this."

I went in search of my sandwich, feeling righteous. 

But what if I am not right?  What if there is a valid reason for driving this behemoth?  I can't think of one, but is there?  Is that valid reason valid enough to cancel out the environmental damage?  Should my views about respect for the Hebrew language, especially language about God, be absolute?   Does everyone have to agree with the opinions of this Carping Calvinist?  Have I, as my father used to say, "stopped preaching and started meddling."  Should I have called this blog, "The Carping Calvinist"?  Why are Chrisitians in general and Presbyterians in particular so free with our judgements?

The Humvee was still there when I came out so I will never know what the reaction of the driver was.

I think not being connected to a particular church anymore has left me feeling very free with my opinions.   I would worry that someone might think that my opinions are the opinions of every member of my church.  I would worry that I might stick my nose in the wrong controversy and find myself on the outs with most of my congregation.

My parish associate commented that my preaching and writing seemed "freer and braver" after I had made the decision to leave the church.  Maybe if we all said these things we were thinking all the time the world would be a freer and braver place.  I know that this week I have been posting a lot more online about the Janie Spahr judicial case than I would of if I was still Head of Staff.  (More thoughts about that case and today's decision in tomorrow's blog!)

Maybe if all of us preachers would say and do what is on our minds this world would be a much freer and braver place.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment