Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Awake in Omaha

Woke up this morning in a moment of blind panic, didn't know where I was for a second, and then saw something, a lamp my parents had, that made me realize I was in my brother Tom's apartment in Omaha.

It feels like it should be Saturday, like I am on holiday. Got to watch myself to make sure I don't just fritter away all these wonderful free feeling days.   So have been catching up on laundry (mine, later today, Tom's!) and starting to reorganize all the stuff I have brought and need to pack into the car, again!

Went out on the deck for prayer and it is just a gorgeous day.  In late August, somtimes a cold front will blow through.  After weeks and weeks of interminable hot, humid, sticky weather, the humidity will drop and we are left with beautiful summer days in the 70's and 80's.

Tom's apartment is near 90th and Dodge, literally the busiest part of Omaha.   But the courtyard of the building is pleasant and green and nicely treed.  I can hear the traffic, but it is muffled by birds and crickets and the rustle of cottonwood leaves.  There is not a cloud in the sky.  

Want to be very intentional about devotions and am using Sam Hamiton-Poore's "Earth Gospel" for daily devotions. Sam is Director, Program in Christian Spirituality and Assistant Professor of Christian Spirituality at San Francisco Theological Seminary.   I got to know him at last summer's "Before the Cradle and Beyond the Cross at SFTS.  The Wednesday reading for Week One is this poem by Emily Dickinson.

Will there really be a "Morning"?
Is there such a thing as "Day"?
Could I see it from the mountains
If I were as tall as they?

Has it feet like Water lilies?
Has it feathers like a Bird?
Is it brought from famous countries
Of which I have never heard?

Oh some Scholar! Oh some Sailor!
Oh some Wise Men from the skies!
Please to tell a little Pilgrim
Where the place called "Morning" lies!
++++++

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment