Thursday, September 23, 2010

Oregon, not Busted

Am writing this in the comfy family room of the home of my friends, Fred, Susan and their son Colin.  I baptized both Colin and Fred on the same day, Colin was just a toddler, Fred, obviously not.  Colin is now a 6'2" teenager.  The place, Lake Oswego, a suburb of Portland, Oregon.  I made it.  Fred and Susan are the lovely people who have invited me to live in their beach house in Lincoln City.  Susan and I will go to see the house tomorrow, so she can make sure everything is OK and show me stores, the library, the community center and the good places to eat.   

Left San Francisco last Saturday.  I had planned to get to Marilee's by the Nebraska/Washington kickoff, but traffic on Hwy 101 was not cooperating.   Got there in time to see Melinda, Marilee's daughter who is now a delightful young woman.   The big highlight of Saturday was a trip to karaoke at a local gay bar.  I sang, "L-O-V-E" as I did in Lake Tahoe. Well received, I thought.  I was the only woman in the bar carrying a purse.

On Sunday morning I was a UCC with Marilee and her mother.  Pleasant congregation, the interior of the church reminded a lot of the church I served in Hector, NY.   Same kind of pulpit, similar pews.  The organist played the hymns at a really good tempo and I had a good chat with him afterwards.  Sunday night was quiet since Marilee and Erin had a celebration at MCC in San Francisco for their pastor who is leaving.  The idea of attending a celebration for a pastor who was leaving seemed a little close to home, so I stayed and Marilee's mom fixed me dinner even though I told her not to.

Left and headed north the next day.  Drove through the vineyards of Sonoma County, through the old Spanish settlement of Sonoma and skirted the edge of Napa before I got on the freeway to take me to I-5 which my friend Kris called "the guts of the west."  

California's central valley as flat as Kansas and a shock to the system after Bay Area.  But Kansas is not bordered by hills on either side.   Drive, north, north north, past irrigated fields and orchards.  If you eat food, you've had food from the Central Valley.   Approaching Corning, California and suddenly Mt. Shasta appears on the horizon, it could be a mirage, disconnected from the ground.   Stopped at the "Olive Pit" for some presents for Oregon friends and kept driving toward the mirage.   I kept trying to pull off the freeway and take a photo of Mt. Shasta, but couldn't find a vista that didn't include the McDonald's arch or the sign for a muffler shop.  I had to get past the mountain and a rest stop that was almost in Oregon to get a view without a sign in it.

Stopped in Redding for gas.   Not only was it cheap, but a young man actually came around and scrubbed the bugs off my windshield.   I was so shocked I tipped him two bucks!

Soon, I crossed the border into Oregon.  Medford and my bed for the night was easily reached.  I love how many of these 1950's or older motels have reinvented themselves with a updated interior and in room microwaved, coffee pots, mini fridges, free wifi and flatscreen TV's.

Next day was an easy drive into Portland and my friends.   They have been cooking delicious dinners and asking if they can get me anything else. 

On the drive north, I had one of my self pity moments.  OK, more than one.  I don't have a job.  Lots of people right now don't have jobs.  Most of them don't have six months of severance and a free beach house in Oregon.   I thought of Job, who lost so much more than I ever have and thought of him saying, "The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away.  Blessed be the name of the Lord."   I realized for the first time, he said it with a lump in his throat, choking back his tears.

So, I got over my self pity and made a joke about being homeless to Fred and Susan.  Susan told me later she was upset when I said that.   "You aren't homeless, you have a home as long as you need one."

I learned again, the people in your life are truly a gift from God. 

Blessed be the name of the Lord.

blessings,

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment